Initial meeting of cohousing for Northern Illinois was focused and productive – we have begun!
A small core group got together to discuss creating cohousing in northern Illinois. We shared what we meant by cohousing, what we are looking for, why we’re drawing to living more in community. We talked about the importance of sustainability in housing and community design. We shared our interest in multi-generational living, the importance of the arts and our shared passions for healthy food.
We agreed that we are all eager to get going on this – to move it forward. As part of our next steps planning we registered a domain name – Prairiemooncohousing.com! The entire community that forms over time will decide on our ultimate name, but the initial group was good with Prairie Moon.
- Write blog entry about the meeting – Diane (this is it – done!)
- Create Facebook page for Prairie Moon Cohousing – Diane
- (first step for this is to look at the McHenry County Food Cooperative FB page as a template – Diane)
- Create website for Prairie Moon Cohousing – Deb
- Finalize monthly meeting date (we had said “around the 15th of each month, but that’s hard to schedule – I will propose the 3rd Sunday of each month) – all
- Talk about it with people we know – as we build more materials (flyers, etc) we can publicize more broadly, but to begin with, we want to let people know informally – including via this blog – all
Sue and I were excitedly discussing the meeting afterwards and she pointed out how fortuitous it was that we began our project in earnest at the full moon – full moons talk about things coming to fruition!
We are all very excited at the prospect of forming cohousing in Northern Illinois! Want to read more about what we mean? Here’s a post from my blog. Here’s the cohousing.org website. And from that site, here is a definition of cohousing. As a quick sum-up – it’s a community of people who wish to live more cooperatively – each in their own dwelling, but with a ‘common house’ – central gathering place – for group activities liked weekly shared meals, celebrations, craft areas, etc.
Interested? Let me know here in the comment stream and we’ll continue to keep you posted. Next meeting is Sunday, March 16 from 2-5 PM, location TBD.